Chocolate shortbread cookies, also known as everyone’s favorite cookie.
Neapolitan shortbread sandwiches.
This chocolate shortbread cookie was going to be a part of that.
Everyone, I mean my kids, their friends, our friends, kids around our neighborhood.
Did I say everyone?
Loved, loved, loved these plain shortbreads so much, I realized that this cookie deserved it’s own glory.
Not-so-sweet shortbreads are unarguably my favorite type of cookie—
Skill level – Easy
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Into a large bowl, add butter, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. Beat with a hand held electric beater on high speed, for 1 minute. Add flour, cocoa powder and salt. Continue to beat (start on low speed and increase to high), until the dough comes just together.
2. Shape the dough into a smooth disc, place on a piece of parchment paper and place another piece of parchment on top. Roll with a rolling pin to slightly less than 1/4-inch thickness. Place the dough (along with parchment papers) on a baking sheet and place in refrigerator for at least 5 hours (or up to 1 day).
3. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4. Remove cookie dough from the refigerator, remove top parchment, and cut into 2-inch squares using a fluted cookie cutter or pastry cutter or knife. Gently transfer dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet, spacing about an inch apart. (If your kitchen is warm or cookie dough feels a little soft, then place the baking sheet back in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes).
5. Place baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 20 cookies
Store cookies in an airtight container for several days.